Monday, April 25, 2011

From Good Life to Prison Life

Two years ago I had it all. A wonderful (mostly) boyfriend, 3 beautiful kids, multiple cars, a gorgeous home, and the whole future ahead of me.  I used to be one of the women who did lunch, went shopping whenever the mood struck me, didn't work at all during the summer time, and went out of town on whims.  We owned our own business, had shares in others, and I kept up as a nurse part time and a mommy and housewife the rest!  Things were looking good!

Then my world came crashing down. My man was charged and 3 years later, was convicted of all these white collar crimes.  We lost everything.  And I mean everything.

I used to be one of those people who looked down on prisoner’s wives and girlfriends.  I used to think they were pathetic, had low self esteem and no respect, and basically were beneath me. Now I’m one of them… and it’s my turn to struggle and be judged.  But through all of this, I've learned that there is no such thing as being beneath someone.  We are all human!  With America incarcertaing more people than any other country, many people find themselves in the exact same situation.  It is lonely, and confusing and often fraught with anger and shame.  But it doesn't HAVE to be!  That's why we're all connected in some way, shape or form, and we're here to SUPPORT one another and not judge!  Only God can judge us... we are all human, we all make mistakes, and we all have our own values, opinions, and beliefs.

What my man did was completely selfish and has cost our family a great deal.  However, I take it one day at a time.  I’m a ride or die kinda girl.  I refuse to give up or give in!

No comments:

Post a Comment